Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Work in Progress

I started this piece over the weekend and I completed it late yesterday evening. The technique is something I've been toying with for a while now but this is the first time I've tried using this layered, fringed technique on a larger scale in porcelain. I usually work quite small in porcelain. I used a plaster mould for the basic structure of the piece, which I began by laying a thin slab of porcelain about 5mm thick into the mould. I then pressed the clay in gently , trying not to stretch or tear the porcelain.

I'm quite happy with the piece, it's now drying out before it can be fired. Hopefully it will dry and fire well. I plan this piece to be a part of a triptych making up a small group. I'll keep you updated with the progress. :)